Super moist, this delicate cake is made with fresh strawberries and topped with a cream cheese frosting.
To achieve the frosting effect as pictured, look for instructions on “petal icing” a cake. I used a cake piping bag and circle tip, a regular spoon, and 2(!) containers of store-bought frosting. The frosting spreads best when chilled, otherwise you get the peaks as seen on the top of my cake. :)
- 1 18.25oz box white cake mix
- 1 3oz box strawberry flavored instant gelatin
- 1 carton fresh strawberries, cored and pureed
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup water
- 2 containers cream cheese frosting
- sliced fresh strawberries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly grease and flour 2 round 9-inch cake pans.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix and gelatin. Add pureed strawberries, eggs, oil, and water.
- Beat at medium speed until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted at center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in pans for 10 minutes.
- Remove cake from pans and allow to cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread frosting between layers and on the top and sides of the cake.
- If desired, garnish with sliced fresh strawberries.
This cake is best served same-day and, in my opinion, at room temperature!