When Kristofer told me his coworkers were going to bring in food on Halloween, I started ranting about how we weren’t going to bring in another dessert, but would instead make a savory dish for everyone to enjoy!
…then the deadline started creeping up on me, and I realized that I needed to use my Halloween cupcake liners anyway, plus Target had those fake fangs on sale at like 6 for a buck, so how could I miss the opportunity to buy those for a bunch of adults who wouldn’t use them? The answer: I couldn’t.
So I bought some Wilton orange food dye and a surprisingly good batch of cookies and cream icing.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl
- Beat butter and sugar until fluffy
- Beat in eggs one at a time
- Mix in vanilla
- Beat in half the flour
- Add milk
- Add food coloring to preference, about 2 tbsp
- Beat in remaining flour until just combined
- Fill cupcake liners about ½ to ¾ full
- Bake 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes
- Remove from pan and cool completely on write rack before frosting
After seeing my insides turned blue from my TARDIS cupcakes, I was a little more conservative with the food dye this time around. I didn’t like that my cupcakes were so flat – next time I’ll probably just do 12, and fill them more.